Pages

Friday 25 April 2014

We Didn't Plan on a Trip to the ER

Yesterday was one of those days that hit you like a bag of bricks.

 photo emstitchpost_zps99284504.jpg

 

Getting ready for bed last night, Emily fell and split her chin open on the side of the tub. At first I thought she just bumped her lip, but then I saw blood on her neck and automatically started shaking.   My brother helped us make our way to the emergency room. Since this was my first time having to make the call between a Band-aid and stitches, I figured we should go just to be sure.

She was back to herself after a few minutes. Me, I shook the entire time, from home to hospital, and back home again. Felt like I was going to throw up at any given moment, but she kept me busy with all of the toys in the waiting room and her many questions.

It seemed like it took forever to call her name. We followed the nurse back, and sat in the room waiting for the Dr. to come and take a look. By this time it is just about 3am. We went with the stitches over the glue to reduce scarring and risk of infection.

As usual, Em was braver than I was. They rolled her up in a blanket, and covered her face, the nurse holding her head still. Not a single tear, though I did notice her little lower lip quiver at the end. It took everything I had in me not to cry while I watched them stitch her up. I couldn't even say anything to the nurses when she was talking to me because my voice was trembling.

I'm assuming it is never going to be easy to watch your children go through injuries, or hurt of any kind for that matter. If you had asked me, a few months ago, what I would do in a situation like this, I would have told you that I would probably have a panic attack, and cry. I'm so thankful, and proud to say I did neither of those things.

5 hours, 4 My Little Pony stickers, and 3 stitches later, I feel more like a Mom than I ever have before. I guess this is just another example of finding strength you didn't know you have, when you, and the people that rely on you, need it the most.

I'm so happy that she is okay, and in good spirits. She looked at me when she sat up on the hospital bed, and said, "All better?"

"Yes, my dear...all better." Of course I was still holding back tears, but this time out of relief and  happiness, over fear.

Have you ever had one of those days that you had to dig in deeper than you ever thought you could?

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Very sorry to hear you guys had to go through that! Very traumatizing for all of you, I am sure.. I am glad to hear she was okay though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Soozle. She is back to her regular old self, running around like crazy and reading her books to the cats. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to hear she's alright and that she handled it like a little trooper. When my son was little he fell in the store and hit his lip on a shelf, he briefly cried then was fine, dad was fine and I was ready to have a breakdown. I insisted on an ER trip, no stitches needed, just swelling mostly. I can sympathize with your trouble dealing with it. My two are teens now but we went through our share of accidents and each time I got a little better. I find the strength and resilience of children amazing, we are always trying to teach them things, sometimes we need to step back and learn a few lessons from them. ~Raine~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's just one of those things that every mother goes through at one point in time or another. It's definitely inspiring to see how resilient our kids can be :)

      Delete
  3. What a relief to hear that all's well. It's quite an experience going to the ER. I had to go myself for the first time recently whilst on holiday in Australia. I fell down some concrete stairs and was knocked unconscious. Not at all a pleasant experience and boy am I thankful that I had bought health insurance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I think your reaction is pretty usual, even though it might not feel like it! Even the toughest of people pale at even the thought of blood and needles! Well done, I've enjoyed reading about your experience and triumph over it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I think that you handled it very good and I don't think that I would have done as well. I remember when my first husband was in a car accident that I fainted when they were going over everything they needed to do for him and the doctor got mad at me and wanted me to leave and he yelled at them and told them that I had to stay.

    ReplyDelete