Pages

Friday 7 June 2013

Book Review: Crashers by Lindy S. Hudis

CrashersBlurb:
Fraudulent car accidents is a multi-million dollar racket involving unscrupulous medical providers, personal injury attorneys, and the cooperating passengers involved int he accidents. Such is the fate of newly engaged Nathan and Shari whose joy is tempered by the dark cloud of mounting debt.

A chance encounter with a stranger in whom Shari confides her troubles proves fortuitous: he tells her of a get-rich-quick scheme that will put her and her fiance on easy street. Seduced by the chance to move from hard times to good times in no time, she finds herself acting as a "stuffed passenger" - the "victim" in a staged auto accident. The act goes according to plan and Shari gets her payday, but getting out and breaking free of the insurance fraud underworld will take nothing short of a miracle.

A modern day cautionary tale, Crashers is a true-to-life novel that uncovers how the innocent get lured into the scheme of "cappers" and "hammers."

A riveting story of love and desperation, greed and redemption.



Review:
Let me start off by saying, I finished this book several months ago, before I started publishing reviews on my blog. I felt like it deserved a proper review.

Crashers tells the fast paced often exhilarating story between Nathan and Shari, a couple who suddenly finds themselves down on their luck, and the men responsible for staging numerous car accidents. Shari, overtaken with the need to make ends meet and the sweet sound of the "good" life ahead, agrees to be a part of the cap and hammer scheme. It's a revealing story of what desperation and greed can do to a person.

The cover captured my attention right off the hop, as well as the blurb on the back of the book. The couples' struggles, their desperation, their "do-good" attitudes, all these things made me feel for the characters. I really got into the storyline, and wanted to know what happened next. I had to pry myself away from it. The ending was definitely not what I expected. I love that! I appreciate a book that can surprise you, even when you think you know what's going to happen. I could see this being turned into a movie. It is one that I will be watching for.

I enjoyed this novel a lot. Lindy has done a great job combining action, crime and love. I understood Shari and Nathans' reasoning behind jumping into such a dangerous scam, but at the same time I wanted to jump into the pages and tell them to just say NO! I read through it in a short time period because of how easy it was to get caught up in the action.

I didn't much care for Bryce's character. He was well-written, don't get me wrong, but if I were to see or talk to him on the streets, there would have been so many scumbag flags flying. He seemed very full of himself right from the start. I definitely would not have gotten into any sort of agreement with him. I guess that's just how innocent Shari was. She seemed very easy to manipulate.

I would recommend this book to readers who like a quickly paced, action/crime combo. It's gotten lots of great reviews and was very eye opening. I rated this one a 5/5.

I got lucky and won a signed copy of the book from someone's blog (can't remember which one for the life of me)either way, Thank you! :)

What are you reading? Does this sound like a book you'd enjoy?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for a good review. This sounds like something I'd enjoy. At the same time, I'd be screaming at Shari and wanting to shake some sense into her. This is the sign of a good author - the characters are so real, we want to reach into the book and talk some sense into them or shake them if they don't listen. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review.. it was extremely helpful. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this sounds like a really cool read. I love to hear "the other side of the story" how normal, good people can get caught up in bad things. I'd love to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great fast paced read, which are my fave as they are REALLY hard to put down. Would love to read it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete