Pages

Wednesday 23 October 2013

Time Management: Learning As We Go

Wow, as I said in one of my last posts, where does the time go?!

These couple of weeks have passed by like a flash of lightning. I don't know where the time went.

With Darren working two jobs now (7 days a week) my days have become full of pretty much all of the parenting duties, and a majority of the household duties (not that I mind, I know he's out there busting his butt so we can move our family forward). It's been quite an adjustment period, but I think we're getting the hang of it.

I was even able to get out a couple of times this week with Emily, on our own. If you are new to my blog and unfamiliar with my struggle with anxiety/depression, you can learn more here.

Yesterday was an amazing day for me. A shopping trip, getting to see a rock legend in concert (can't wait to write my review!), sharing that with my mom, and having my first official night out on my own since having Emily.

All of that being said, it is a HUGE reminder of how time has become especially valuable to me lately. As a mom and partner, as a person managing a health issue, as a sister, daughter, and aunt. But also, as a blogger.

On most days, I wind up with only 3 hours total to dedicate to blogging. Some during nap time (if that even happens. Lately, not so much). Some after Emily goes to bed. Those 3 hours provide me time to go through emails, respond to those that need it, check my social media, link up the giveaways I'm promoting, (squeeze in an uninterrupted shower), maybe write a post if I'm lucky, and then the little one is awake, or it's reached the point where I know I need to call it a night.

When I first started my blog, I made a mistake that I think a lot of new bloggers make. I started pitching to several companies, and finding new opportunities, new groups to join, new websites to join for items to review, because I thought it would be so hard to get someone to work with a new blogger like myself. I pitched so much, and applied for so many opportunities, not at all expecting to get a response. But, lo and behold, I got an overwhelming response and am still catching up from it!

I'm learning that I have to become more selective with the items that I accept for review. I understand, now, just how much time goes into each of these reviews. And that even though I can squeeze in time to test the products, it was a lot harder to squeeze in QUIET time to write.

I don't know about anybody else, but for me, I can't write a full sentence when I have a two year old that just wants me to draw "pretty hearts" for her. Nor, do I think it's fair to the businesses I'm reviewing for to even try to write under those circumstances. I strongly believe that if I can't give you my full attention in my writing or testing process, I'm not giving you the best work possible. And that's what I want to put forward. EVERY time.

There are several businesses that I've had to contact and apologize to, because after trying their product, I just didn't feel like I could dedicate the time to writing a quality review for them. If I am going to write about something, I have to be able to put my heart into it. Otherwise, there is no drive there, and no passion. If you're product doesn't speak to me and I can't write you a quality review, I will let you know, and give you constructive criticism. Plain and simple. I think that's fair.

For those that are patiently awaiting my reviews, I extend my gratitude for your patience. It is very much appreciated, and will not be taken advantage of. Really, to all people that I work with, now or in the future, or have worked with past: You can feel comfortable knowing that I do all that I can every day. If I didn't put forth my best effort everyday, I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror. And I can proudly say that I do that now. After years of avoiding mirrors, I can finally look myself in the eye.

3 comments:

  1. i completely understand about the struggles of having no time to do all the things you'd like. I am glad to here that you won't write up a review about something you dont like as i always look to bloggers when i want to try a new product! very decent of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so important. I struggle with this in my own way as well. You just have to wake up every morning with the idea that you are going to do it in a way that will be fulfilling. Every. Single. Day. It's hard, especially in this day and age. Hugs. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree. Time management (and energy management) are so important. I am a stay at home,of a very active 20 month old, studying to be a doula and blog writer/ book reviewer. Kudos to you for trying to find a balance!

    ReplyDelete